Bideawee, a leading pet welfare organization serving the metropolitan New York and Long Island, is seeking a temporary Veterinary Assistant to join our team in the Manhattan location. Veterinary assistants provide supportive services under the direction of a senior veterinarian. This includes but is not limited to administering oral or topical medications, as allowed by NY state law; setting up equipment for both treatment rooms and surgery, restraining animals, lab work, cleaning of the kennel area and isolation room; interacting with clients in-person and over the phone.
- Assisting and restraining animals for the veterinarians and technicians
- Setting up appointments, obtaining general history for doctors while informing clients about maintaining their pet’s general health
- Computer work such as entering bills for clients and giving informational handouts as needed
- Filling out health certificates and related forms
- Filling out lab forms completely and preparing and packaging blood work to send out
- Preparing lab samples including but not limited to: fecal, urine, and ear samples
- General husbandry, maintenance, and treatments of all patients under AHAB care
- Accurate record keeping of treatments performed and notable observations (weight, temp, abnormal symptoms, etc.)
- Setting up the surgical suite and assembling all packs and equipment needed for the day’s surgeries
- Monitoring and recording vitals of patients recovering from anesthesia
- Cleaning and sterilization of surgical instruments and supplies
- Laundry and general cleaning (sweeping, mopping, cleaning all surfaces on the hospital floor)
- Other duties include restocking, assisting other staff members, and paper work.