Bideawee, a leading pet welfare organization serving the metropolitan New York and Long Island, is seeking a Volunteer and Events Manager to join our team in the Westhampton location. The ideal candidate must feel comfortable around animals.
The Bideawee Volunteer & Events Manager will be a critical and public-facing part of the team that acquires, retains and deploys volunteers across the organization. This individual will participate in the development of key strategies and tactics to increase volunteer participation in all of the organization’s volunteer-based programs (i.e. Adoption Center, Events, Corporate, Pet Therapy, DOGA). This individual will be a member of the marketing team and be required to collaborate with individuals within and outside this team. To be successful the Volunteer & Events Manager will be required to not simply implement programs, they must have the capability to generate ideas and find innovative ways to acquire, retain and motivate current and future volunteers. This individual will be given the responsibility of determining how to best utilize the volunteer assets to satisfy the needs of the various business areas. The Volunteer & Events Manager must have experience and be comfortable proactively engaging consumers and have success quickly establishing a productive rapport and relationship with new and existing volunteers. The Volunteer & Events Manager will be responsible for upholding the standards of the organization and will need to demonstrate attention to detail, the ability to follow direction and the capacity to inspire volunteers to action and commitment.
The Volunteer & Events Manager reports to the Associate Director of Partnerships and will play a critical role in the organization achieving success through the activation and utilization of volunteer resources. In this role the individual will need to demonstrate organizational awareness and be comfortable communicating across the organization in order to solicit feedback on the effectiveness of programs or articulate the intent and anticipated benefit of volunteer initiatives. It is critical that the Volunteer & Events Manager have the ability to prioritize initiatives and workload and have the wherewithal to articulate priorities to others within the organization when necessary. Comfort communicating with individuals verbally, through presentations and emails is necessary to be successful. An ability to master the volunteer management software system (Volgistics) is a requirement as is a working knowledge of basic computer programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
To be successful an individual must be able to develop a plan for their specific area of responsibility and ensure that it can be seamlessly integrated into the master plan for the organization.
The following is a list of essential job requirements. This list may be revised at any time and additional duties not listed here may be assigned as needed. Job Functions and Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and execute the strategy to recruit, train, schedule, retain and recognize volunteers across all aspects of the volunteer program (AC, events, corporate, pet therapy, etc.).
- Administer a volunteer segmentation program that identifies volunteer skill set and matches them with the appropriate job.
- Monitor the morale of the volunteer base and create an open and honest culture based on continual dialogue.
- Understand departmental needs and allocate and track volunteer resources to ensure that resource allocation aligns with organizational and departmental needs.
- Liaison with the community.
- Research and establish contact with new partners to increase the organization’s reach within the communities that Bideawee serves through new events, pet therapy, etc.
- Create a volunteer 'career path' that allows volunteers to progressively take on more responsibility in the organization.
- Collaborate with other volunteer managers to create organization plans, standards and best practices that result in greater organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Identify and recruit new participants in the Bideawee Corporate Volunteer program.
- Establish and maintain the professional relationships with external trade partners (i.e. Pet Partners).
- Properly manage all aspects of identifying and filling any volunteer opportunities by collaborating with individual departments.
- Participate in the development of orientation, training and performance standards for the volunteer part of the organization.
- Support, organize and execute events, by collaborating and taking direction from the event lead. This entails helping develop, staff and fulfill the operational requirements of events.
- Develop all scheduled communications with all volunteer groups.
- Establish, uphold and review volunteer and volunteer program standards on a quarterly basis.
- Arrange and conduct tours for groups as required.
- Refine and ensure the adherence to a volunteer on-boarding and mentoring program
- Be an active participant and collaborator in meetings. Must attend regular meetings in different Bideawee locations.
- Produce reports on volunteer allocation, hours and productivity.