Bideawee, a leading pet welfare organization serving the metropolitan New York and Long Island, is seeking a temporary part time Adoption Assoicate to join our team in the Westhampton location. The ideal candidate must be available to work on weekends.
Adoption Associate is responsible for the care of in-house cats and dogs including feeding, cleaning, socializing, grooming, and evaluation of physical and emotional wellbeing. Provide customer service, perform adoptions, recordkeeping, general housekeeping and miscellaneous tasks.
The following is a list of essential job requirements. This list may be revised at any time and additional duties not listed here may be assigned as needed. Job Functions and Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Feeding - Make sure each animal receives the proper amount and type of food prescribed and always has fresh water (unless it is prohibited for a medical reason).
- Cleaning - Make sure that all animals are in a clean, comfortable environment at all times with appropriate bedding. This includes properly disinfecting using appropriate protocols and removing fecal matter or any debris in the area they are housed in. Make sure that all areas are odor-free at all times.
- Infection control -- Practice infection control procedures consistently wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when necessary.
- Socialization - Make sure all animals get proper social contact, as well as appropriate social experiences and document them.
- Record Keeping - Log all behaviors, eating habits and anything out of the ordinary, keeping coworkers apprised.
- General Housekeeping - Keep work stations clean and neat at all times including all areas in and around the stations as well as the common areas.
- Laundry - Make sure the laundry is done as needed.
- Grooming - Ensure that animals are clean and bushed, nails are clipped, and eyes and ears are kept clean. Animals that have fecal matter on them should be bathed immediately. Adoption Center animals should never have an unpleasant odor or unkempt appearance.
- General wellbeing - Immediately contact the supervisor any time an animal exhibits signs of not feeling well.
- Exercise - Ensure that each animal gets the proper amount of exercise daily.
- Verify that the front desk and the reception area are neat and clean at all times.
- Miscellaneous - Assist with animal intake. Bring any unsafe or broken equipment to the attention of a supervisor.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service with prospective adopters and clients, ensuring that adopters feel welcome and comfortable.
- Quickly understand client needs and initiate the matchmaking process.
- Ensure new clients completely fill out the adoption survey.
- Provide walk-throughs so that potential adopters are introduced to resident animals.
- Be knowledgeable and describe physical and behavioral attributes of animals to potential adopters.
- Make courteous inquiries of relevant information, e.g. pet history.
- Converse with potential adopters building rapport.
- Educate adopters in responsible pet ownership.
- Ability to supervise and mentor volunteers